Monday 7 December 2009

The View From the Shoe: Fiona Robyn

I met Fiona Robyn through one of my lovely previous Views From the Shoe, Claire Grant. What fascinated me about her work was her plan for the launch of her new novel Thaw. The plan, nicely monickered Blogsplash, is for as many bloggers as possible to put the first page of the novel on their website on release date, March 1st 2010. I would encourage all bloggers out there to sign up and take part. Anyway, here's Fiona, in her own words:

Fiona Robyn is a novelist living in the countryside in Hampshire with her cats and vegetable patch. Her previous novels are The Letters and The Blue Handbag, and Thaw is out on the 1st of February. Her main site is at www.fionarobyn.com and she blogs about being a writer at www.plantingwords.com.

Thank you so much for your time. So, Louboutin or Converse?
I just had to google Louboutin to find out what it meant, which gives you your answer. I can’t walk in high heels. I had my first pair of Converse All Stars at Uni… happy memories!

Why is there no one in the world who does it quite like you?
Nobody does it quite like me because nobody IS quite like me.

What do you really, really love about it?
About writing? There are lots of things I don’t love, but I do love bringing my characters to life and hearing their stories. I love it when my readers love them as much as I do.

A bit more time in the day, or a bit more money in the bank?
Time, every time. I wouldn’t turn the money away though.

Imagine you “make it”. You wake up, and imagine the day ahead. Tell us about breakfast.
I would have earl grey and a cinnamon and raisin bagel, outside in the sun as I watched the birds and listened to them singing. Exactly like breakfast now, then. Maybe I’d be accompanied by Johnny Depp.

What’s your Jimmy Choo? And what’s just cobblers?
Hotel Chocolat chocolates, especially the butter caramels. Thorntons is cobblers.

Tell us about the last time a fan made you feel 100 feet tall.
A reader in America emailed me to say she’d had surgery for skin cancer recently, and had lots of waiting time at the hospital between procedures. She said that Leonard from my novel ‘The Blue Handbag’ kept her perfect company. Which writer could ask for anything more?

Independent and poor, or under contract and rich?
Under contract and poor ; )

Do you remember that bit on Play Away where Brian Cant stood behind people and did the actions whilst they spoke? If you could choose anyone to stand behind you and do the actions to your sales pitch, who would it be and why?
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Frocks or socks?
Both, at the same time.

Thank you SOOO much

2 comments:

  1. A delightful interview! I just visited and enjoyed reading your blog, Fiona. Yes, a big part of being a writer is looking at frosted grass.

    Cinnamon and raisin bagels? One of my favorites!
    I believe that Dan would put marmite and butter on his.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts here; I will be looking for Thaw in February!

    And thanks, Dan for showcasing Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I would, Marisa - on the other hand if I wanted something sweet and warming, cinnamon & raisin takes some beating :)

    ReplyDelete